Waterval! Learn Dutch in Maastricht“, the language school for Dutch – experience, enthusiasm, and empathy guaranteed. It doesn’t matter where you are: you can come to the classroom, or communicate online. Talking with feedback and lots of Dutch culture are our unique selling points. So why not try Dutch classes here?
experienced (30 years) yet patient Dutch teacher with thorough books and all kinds of online material (here and here and here) promises you interactive and empowering Dutch classes, that energize you wherever you are!
Everybody’s welcome here, but the school appears to attract mostly “expats”, internationals. At Waterval!, expect to work in small groups with people who are genuinely interested in Dutch, and in their fellow students.
Upcoming courses – April 2023:
maandag (Monday) dinsdag (Tuesday) woensdag (Wednesday) donderdag (Thursday) vrijdag (Friday)
Group courses starting in the week of April 24, 2023 2023-21:
Beginners Dutch, 0-A1, 19.00-21.00, 24 April
Dutch, A1-A2, 19.00-21.00, April 25
Dutch, A2-B1, 18.30-20.30, April 26
Waterval! is also a kind of a language lab. How can you improve teaching Dutch? With a lot of trial and error, I developed six books, full of clear explanation of grammar, lots of vocabulary exercises (also online), and plenty of incentives to make you speak and drill speech bits. Waterval books I-VI cover the whole gamut from level 0 (scratch) to C levels:
Waterval les 1: download here!
At the moment, I’m improving online teaching, recording classes and explanations, and putting them online too. Missing lessons or reviewing explanations will not be much of a problem any longer. Also, I developed a new kind of interactive pronunciation exercises online, that will help you compare your speaking with native speakers.
Cool, well-structured classes; enthusiastic and empathic teacher; books that are fun to work with; lots of clear and effective online support (grammar, vocabulary, audio with feedback): we’re into Dutch for you and for the ♥ of languages, not for the money! Do send me an e-mail or call (06-41029302) in case you have questions or want to discuss things.
Courses in 2023
Scroll to the right (below) to see everything
| Day >|
|Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday & Saturday
|Week van 23 januari/|
Week of January 23
|2023-01: beginners Dutch, 0-A1, Monday 7pm-9, starting 17 January 2022||2023-02: upper-elementary Dutch, A1-A2, Tuesday 7-9pm, starting 18 January 2022||2023-03: |
intermediate Dutch, A2-B1, Wednesday 7-9pm, starting 19 January 2022
|2023-04: upper-intermediate group, B1-B1+, Thursday, 7-9pm, starts on 20 January 2022||2023-05: towards advanced Dutch and level B2, Friday 6.00-8.00pm, starting 21 January|
beginners Dutch, 0-A1, starts on April 18, Monday 7-9pm
Dutch, A1-A2, starts on April 19, Tuesday 7-9pm
Dutch, A2-B1, starts on April 20, Wednesday 7-9pm
Dutch, B1-B1+, start op donderdag 21 april, 7-9pm
|2023-25: richting Nederlands voor gevorderden, van B1+ naar B2: een conversatiecursus|
|July or August:|
intensive summer courses
|2023-41, summer course 0-A1, 10am-2pm||2023-42, summer course A1-A2, 10am-2pm||2023-43, summer course A2-B1, 10am-2pm||2023-44, summer course B1-B1+, 10am-2pm||2023-45, summer course, towards B2, 10am-2pm|
|End of September 2023||2023-51: Beginners|
Dutch, 0-A1, 7-9p September 25
Dutch, A1-A2, 7-9pm, starts on Tuesday September 26
Intermediate Dutch, A2-B1, 7-9pm, starts on Wednesday September 27
Dutch, B1-B1+, 7-9pm, starts on Thursday September 28
Dutch conversation course, level B1+ and higher, starts on Friday September 29, 6-8pm
Still an expat? Become an inpat!
We can help you integrate as smoothly as possible!
06-23045039 email@example.com Register now
* Learning Dutch – the idea
* We focus on speaking, as both the means and the end of our initial teaching. It’s only by speaking that you can learn to speak, and gain the confidence you are able to communicate in another language. Only by listening you’ll listen, by writing practical assignments you’ll write.
* Pleasure is an effect of good education, but it’s a condition too. People prefer to memorize nice things; you learn better when you feel good!
* Vocabulary and grammar, the bricks and mortar of language, get presented in a playful way – they can be fun too. Clear rules, explanations and (online) drills give you something to hold on to. Online pronunciation tools, with comparison possibility, give you the chance to polish your pronunciation.
* All means – books, newspapers, songs, films – are used to catch your attention. We bring Dutch language and culture alive using papers, tv programs, videos, stories, plays and games. Learn faster by making your personal “method mix”, and find your way along!
* Learning Dutch – a teaching cycle
This is how we work in our courses:
welcome chat → homework evaluation → recap → vocabulary of new theme → book dialogue → grammar rule: examples and explanation → practice/exercise → speech bits → hole text > role plays → conversation/interaction → feedback from class and teacher (stored online)→ reading (mostly about Dutch culture) → listening (mostly online)→ speaking (in class)→ writing (correcting and preparing homework assignments)→vocabulary & games→ new homework→ (explanation of) e-learning tools→ next session:
* Blended learning
* Everything mentioned above comes together in Waterval! (“waterfall”*): books and a web site containing audio and exercises with meaningful feedback. Have a look at the general training website – or at Quizlet, the special vocabulary site.
* The Dutch say: “Hij/Zij is een spraakwaterval“, he or she is a waterfall of speech. That’s what we aim at: to make a fluent speaker of you. You’ll experience a “waterfall of Dutch” at Waterval, a shower of Dutch. Together, we’ll find the mix that suits you best!
How it is supposed to work: as a “kopje koffie”, a boost for your Dutch!