Welcome to “Waterval! Learn Dutch in Maastricht“, the language school for Dutch – experience, enthusiasm, and empathy guaranteed. Cool, well-structured classes, enthusiastic and empathic teacher, books that are fun to work with, and lots of clear and effective online support (grammar, vocabulary, audio with feedback). We’re into Dutch for you and for the ♥ of languages, not for the money!
Because of the corona virus we recently moved to online teaching. Using Skype and Zoom, it’s still possible to have fruitful classes. By projecting and annotating the lessons on screen, and by using headsets and cameras, we can communicate. On the other hand, you can’t deny it’s all a little stressful, and some things go missing.
At the moment I’m looking how to improve on this, for instance how we can do role plays online. Furthermore I will record lessons, and put them on Youtube. Missing lessons or reviewing explanations will not be a problem any longer. Meanwhile, let’s hope for the best. We’ll meet again – in the classroom, in a few months time.
Do send me an e-mail in case you have questions or want to discuss things!
All courses 2020
Scroll to the right (below) to see everything
- Positive, genuinely interested teacher
- Learning by doing: learn to speak by speaking
- Well-structured courses, step by step
- Lots of effective exercises and audio material online
- Plenty of help with cultural and bureaucratic pitfalls
- Affordable prices (200€/20 hours) for quality teaching – no humbug, no bla bla
Still an expat? Become an inpat! We can help you integrate as smoothly as possible!
* Learning Dutch – the idea
* We focus on speaking, as both the means and the end of our initial teaching. Only by speaking you can learn to speak, and gain the confidence you can communicate in a language. Only by listening you’ll listen, by writing practical assignments you’ll write.
* Pleasure is an effect of good education, but it’s a condition too. People prefer to memorize nice things; you learn better when you feel good!
* Vocabulary and grammar, the bricks and mortar of language, get presented in a playful way – they can be fun too. Clear rules, explanations and (online) drills give you something to hold on to. Online pronunciation tools, with comparison possibility, give you the chance to polish your pronunciation.
* All means – books, newspapers, songs, films – are used to catch your attention. We bring Dutch language and culture alive using papers, tv programs, videos, stories, plays and games. Learn faster by making your personal “method mix”, and find your way along!
* Learning Dutch – the teaching cycle
This is how we work in our courses:
welcome chat → homework evaluation → recap → vocabulary of new theme → book dialogue→ grammar rule explanation → practice/exercise → speech bits → role plays → conversation/interaction → feedback from class and teacher (stored online)→ reading (mostly about Dutch culture) → listening (mostly online)→ speaking (in class)→ writing (reading homework assignments)→vocabulary & games→ new homework→ (explanation of) e-learning tools→ next session:
* Blended learning
* Everything mentioned above comes together in Waterval! (“waterfall”*): books and a web site containing audio and exercises with meaningful feedback. Have a look at the general training website – or at Quizlet, the special vocabulary site.
* The Dutch say: “Hij/Zij is een spraakwaterval“, he or she is a waterfall of speech. That’s what we aim at: to make a fluent speaker of you. You’ll experience a “waterfall of Dutch” at Waterval, a shower of Dutch. Together, we’ll find the mix that suits you best!